Gnocchi is so quick and simple to make from scratch. It is cheaper than shop bought and often a lot nicer. My first attempt was really good.
Ingredients for Gnocchi recipe
225g / 8oz floury potatoes, in their skins
80g / 2¾oz plain flour
¼ tsp salt
½ egg, beaten
Method for making Gnocchi
- Bake the potatoes in the oven at 180° for 50 minutes, or until very soft and then leave them to cool so that you can touch them.
- Scoop out the flesh of the potatoes, from the skins and mash it or pass or through a potato rice.
- Mix with the flour, salt and egg to make a firm dough.
- Roll the mixture into 1cm thick sausages then cut into 2cm lengths.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Boil the Gnocchi for 3 minutes, or until they rise to the surface. Drain and keep warm.
Enjoy the Gnocchi with your favourite sauce. We had ours with pesto, spinach, pine nuts and red onion.